AAA, which I am a member of, had a promotion--a 70-point (or something like that) free safety check at any of their car care centers in October. I thought it won't harm and I went to one close to work in Raleigh, NC. Used my lunch break for it. Got some takeout, brought the car in, and ate my food waiting.
I came in to pick it up, it's ready, and they have a report for me. Besides finding my b0rked wheel alignment and all tires A-Ok (that was before I noticed that tread wear and had the alignment fixed) they suggested to:
- Flush coolant (which I just had changed together with the radiator less that 3000 miles ago, when my old radiator leaked);
- Flush transmission fluid (also changed about 15,000 ago)
- Change all belts (just changed them all 20 miles ago, should have another 40K in them)
- Change brake rotors and pads (according to Harry the mechanic, my car's attending physician I should need new pads in about 7K, but rotors are fine)
- and--get this--Throttle body and fuel injection system cleaning!
All this with a straight face. To an owner of a Miata without any symptoms of fuel delivery problems.
Findings: they overlooked existing problems with alignment and tread wear, but tried to sell me on unnecessary work.
Conclusion: avoid at all cost.