2010-04-21

Car-ayzeey people on the intartubes

Behold, this is a true email exchange between yours truly and the seller of a 1994 R-package Mazda Miata, which was advertised on Craigslist. Edited for names and personal info, only to protect the identities of the people involved. Enjoy.

Me

to sale-g9ejb-168
Apr 19 (3 days ago)
Hi,
Is the car still for sale? What aftermarket parts does the car have aside from the KYB shocks?

I am most interested in the sway bars and springs. Or are these still the ones that came on the car OEM?

Thanks,
Alex

Jack Bauer

to me
Apr 19 (2 days ago)
Hi Alex,

The car is stock and has the larger sway bars and springs that came with the R package. The intake has been replaced with a CARB legal intake and I just had a new cat installed too. Don't know if I mentioned that or not. Yes it is still available.

Jack Bauer

Me

to Jack Bauer
Apr 19 (2 days ago)
Thanks Jack,
I am looking for a Miata to take to the track, so this one sounds like a good fit.

How many miles on the KYBs? Are they adjustable? Do you know the model of the shocks, so I can look them up please?

Was the motor replaced with a crate engine or a rebuilt one?

Is the clutch OEM or a performance clutch?

What about the intake? Is it a K&N or a Racing Beat by any chance? (If you have pictures from under the hood that would help a lot. I used to have a '99 Miata prepped for autocross, so I have an idea where things are :)

I can come up to look at the car on Sunday if this works for you.

Won't have all the cash on me but enough for a substantial downpayment. Am definitely serious and have the cash to buy the car, just not much into carrying wads of cash around. :)

You can reach me by phone at 555 555 5555.

Thanks,
Alex

Jack Bauer

to me
Apr 20 (1 day ago)
Hi Alex,

The KYB's are new with less than 1000 miles on them. They are not adjustable, model # 341126 front, 341127 rear. The motor was replaced with a used long block from Rising Sun Engines in Chico Ca. They bench run all motors until running temp, compression test which we verified at 180 per cylinder and oil pressure test. They are very reputable and I have all paperwork for all work done. The motor runs strong and delivers excellent power. Their motors usually have 30 to 40k miles max on them from Japan. I had the timing belt and water pump done by them before it was delivered, so you are good for 60k miles at least for the timing belt. Clutch is OEM, intake is Racing Beat.

As far as cash goes, i would need full payment before it leaves for a new home. If you are interested on Sunday, I will take a deposit and you can pick it up when you have the rest.

Thanks again for your interest.

Jack

Me

to Jack Bauer
Apr 20 (1 day ago)
Absolutely, I would not expect to have the car before I paid you in full. Your ad said that one needed cash in hand to test-drive, and I wanted to make sure I get to drive the car, so I mentioned the deposit.

Prior to completing the title transfer (and the rest of the money changing hands), I would want to have an independent mechanic to do a full pre-purchase inspection (they usually take 1-1.5 hours, and it goes without saying that I will pay) -- so after the car checks out, I would hand over the rest of the money in exchange for the paperwork and will be on my merry way.

That's the plan -- if that works for you of course.

Thanks for providing the information about the parts and the engine, it helps a lot. Good to know that you have all the paperwork as well.

So if Sunday works for you, I can drive up at around 11am if that works and we can go from there.

Jack Bauer

to me
5:06 PM (22 hours ago)
I do want full payment in hand for solo test drives. I have had a car wrecked years ago and once bitten twice shy. Too many headaches to get it resolved. no judgment on you at all, it is just the way I am handling this sale.

My only question is where do you plan to have the car evaluated at on a Sunday? I would not feel comfortable with the car being gone without full payment in hand. If you find something you do not like, don't buy it, I will return your money. If you want to do it another day and have it looked at in Novato, that is fine. I am selling the car as is and have all documentation you need for the work that was done.

I will not be available until 3:00 on Sunday afternoon. Let me know if that works for you.

Let me know your thoughts on the inspection.

Jack

Me

to Jack Bauer
9:24 PM (18 hours ago)
The plan was for me to look at the car on Sunday and test drive it.

If the car checks out and I want to proceed, you get the downpayment (keep the car) and I get to pick the mechanic close by for us to meet at later in the week for the inspection and the title transfer.

You do not part with the car until the mechanic gives the car a clean bill of health. Then we do the title transfer and you get the full payment. And I get the keys to the car.

This is pretty much standard procedure and I have had no trouble doing that in the past.

However, I am not going to walk around with five grand in hand, and I am not going to commit to buy a car without having test-driven it.

If this is not something that is going to work for you, I think I will take a pass.

Alex